Friday, February 6, 2009

Snow Day

My apologies for the blurriness of this photo, but it was taken through a window during the preliminary stages of a blizzard, and not the cleanest window to boot.

Prairie chickens. Ten.

We've seen this flock around our property before, usually very suddenly and heart-stoppingly when they explode in your face just before you step on one. This is the first time I've had a chance for a leisurely look. They were gleaning what they could off the weed stalks, and stumbling around in the snow-drifts. Not very graceful birds. It's pretty amazing that they survive at all, given how lumpy and earth-bound they are. Favourite coyote snackerie.

That little tree with the tag is a plum, I think. Or maybe an apple. I sure hope it makes it through and grows leaves in the spring.


The sign. I started plotting out spaces, and drew up some numbers, but I'm pretty disappointed. It's ugly, not much for looking at. Oh well. At least it's not painted on yet. I might have some flash of intuition and be able to salvage the project.

No comments: