Monday, July 5, 2010

Bag Lady


Some of us are rather laissez-faire about parenting... especially in these teen years. I'm trying to reserve my reserves for where it counts, and let everything else slide, ya know?

But I took Poppy to a Writing Camp yesterday in the south of the province, and realized with horror as I helped her unload her stuff that she'd packed most everything in plastic garbage bags! I wanted to crawl under the car! And the worst part of it is... poor kid, there really weren't any other options. She needed to bring a bunch of bedding, and what on earth do you haul that sort of thing in, if you don't have a stash of hockey bags? That was a very Bad Mum moment. Eesh.

Lesson learned. This morning, as soon as I got up, I dumped out my fabric stash, rooted around for things that have been languishing there too long, and got to work. This is the end result: Two extra large, two just large, calico camping bags. Glorified pillow-cases, really, but they should do the trick. Tomorrow I'll go buy some cording to thread through the drawstring channels, and they'll be ready to take her stuff when I go to pick her up again at the end of the week.

Whew. Saved me arse!

4 comments:

Juliana @ Shakti Mama said...

I hope I'm such a thoughtful mama someday, so as to make something like this for my daughter ... and by hand too! I'm sure she'll absolutely love it :).

Shadowmoss said...

Congrats to Poppy for valuing function over form. If the point of the exercise was to get to the Writing Camp, and plastic bags allowed to do that, then Woo Hoo! However, I'm sure she will be glad for something with a bit nicer form, too. Still, from what I hear of youth, there are some who would have stayed home from lack of 'proper' luggage. Either way you look at it, you are doing good, Mum!

Madcap said...

Juliana - Actually, I made it by machine. ;-) Hard to say with Poppy whether she'll love it, but at least it's more serviceable and longer-lasting than a garbage bag! And less embarrassing for me, at any rate.

Shadowmoss - Thank you, I hadn't looked at it that way. You're right, she did what she needed to do to get where she wanted to go, and that was the important part. And she wasn't too fastidious to use what she had at hand.

Juliana @ Shakti Mama said...

Haha, Madcap, to me, making it by machine is the same as making it by hand! Meaning, you didn't just go out and buy it! I think I'm just so behind in these things though ...